Dr. Runze Li is an assistant research scientist at the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, U.S.A. His primary research interest is to explore ultrafast phenomena by means of various pump-probe combinations that employ femtosecond optical, electron and x-ray pulses. He is also interested in biophysical studies with a focus on the rapid identification and inactivation of bacteria using spectroscopic methods.
He received a B.S. degree from the National Base Class for Physics, Central China Normal University, China. Then he started to purse his Ph.D. in Optics at Dr. Jie Zhang’s Group, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China. After defending his dissertation in 2014, he moved to Dr. Peter M. Rentzepis' Group as Postdoctoral Research Associate. In 2017, he was promoted to Assistant Research Scientist.
- Runze Li, Dinesh Dhankhar, Jie Chen, Thomas C. Cesario, and Peter M. Rentzepis, A tryptophan synchronous and normal fluorescence study on bacteria inactivation mechanism. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 116, 18822 (2019) doi:/10.1073/pnas.1909722116
- Runze Li, Umang Goswami, Maria King, Jie Chen, Thomas C. Cesario, and Peter M. Rentzepis, In situ detection of live-to-dead bacteria ratio after inactivation by means of synchronous fluorescence and PCA. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 115, 668 (2018) doi:/10.1073/pnas.1716514115
- Runze Li*, Pengfei Zhu, Jie Chen, Jianming Cao, Peter M. Rentzepis, and Jie Zhang*, Direct observation of ultrafast thermal and non-thermal lattice deformation of polycrystalline aluminum film. Applied Physics Letters, 111, 041105 (2017) (*co-corresponding author) doi:/10.1063/1.4986453
- A. Meraki, P. T. McColgan, P. M. Rentzepis, R. Z. Li, D. M. Lee, and V. V. Khmelenko, Quantum vortices and thermally induced luminescence of nitrogen nanoclusters immersed in liquid helium. Physical Review B, 95, 104502 (2017) doi:/10.1103/PhysRevB.95.104502
- Runze Li, Jie Chen, Thomas C. Cesario, Xin Wang, Joshua S. Yuan, and Peter M. Rentzepis, Synergistic reaction of silver nitrate, silver nanoparticles, and methylene blue against bacteria. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 113, 13612 (2016) doi:/10.1073/pnas.1611193113
- Long Chen, Runze Li, Jie Chen, Pengfei Zhu, Feng Liu, Jianming Cao, Zhengming Sheng, and Jie Zhang, Mapping transient electric fields with picosecond electron bunches. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 112, 14479 (2015) doi:/10.1073/pnas.1518353112
- Run-Ze Li, Pengfei Zhu, Long Chen, Tong Xu, Jie Chen, Jianming Cao, Zheng-Ming Sheng, and Jie Zhang, Investigation of transient surface electric field induced by femtosecond laser irradiation of aluminum. New Journal of Physics, 16, 103013 (2014) doi:/10.1088/1367-2630/16/10/103013
- Ultrafast thermal and non-thermal lattice deformation of aluminum film revealed by ultrafast electron diffraction. Poster Presentation. August 19-23, 2018, Boston, Massachusetts. American Chemical Society National Meeting and Exposition.
- Ultrafast thermal and non-thermal lattice deformation of aluminum film revealed by ultrafast electron diffraction. Poster Presentation. February 3-9, 2018, Galveston, Texas. Ultrafast Phenomena in Cooperative Systems (Gordon Research Conference).
- Femtosecond laser induced structural dynamics and melting of Cu (111) single crystal. An ultrafast time-resolved x-ray diffraction study. Oral Talk. March 13–17, 2017, New Orleans, Louisiana. APS March Meeting 2017.
- Simultaneous observation of ultrafast structural dynamics and transient electrical field by picosecond electron pulses. Oral Talk. March 3-7, 2014, Denver, Colorado. APS March Meeting 2014.
- Structural dynamics of gold nano-particles investigated by ultrafast electron diffraction. Oral Talk. June 11, 2011, Shanghai, China. The Annual Academic Conference, Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University (Excellent Oral Talk Award).
honors and awards
- Elsevier Journal “Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing”, 2018
- First Class Shenguang Scholarship, SJTU-CAEP, 2014
- Excellent Teaching Assistant of the Department of Physics and Astronomy, SJTU, 2009, 2010
- First Class Award of the Hubei Provincial Excellent Bachelor’s Thesis, 2008
- Annual Top 20 Undergraduates of CCNU, 2006
- First Class Scholarship of CCNU for three consecutive years, 2005-2007
- Freshmen Scholarship of CCNU, 2004
- Excellent High School Students of Henan Province, 2003